Friday, December 28, 2012

The pizza delivery man made me cry...

While standing in my kitchen this evening I heard a knock at the door. Exhausted and annoyed that I might need to entertain someone I opened the door to find a total stranger looking me in the eye. He had a slight grin on his face as he began to open a pizza warming case and said, "I have a pizza for you." I quickly said, with confusion in my voice, "Wait, I think you have the wrong house, we didn't order any pizza." He smiled and said, "I know. It's been paid for and there's a note attached inside."

I immediately started to cry! I tried to say between the tears, "Thank you, this made my whole day!"

It has been a very rough two months for my family. My three children, my husband and myself have all been very sick at different times and are having a hard time staying healthy. We've had rounds of bronchitis, pneumonia, sinus infections, ear infections, colds, etc... The pharmacists and pediatricians have seen us weekly and know me by first name. The amount of medicines and prescriptions I've had to administer is getting outrageous and I've created notebooks and documents just to keep track. 

One of those medications, for my oldest daughter, was Amoxicillin for a double ear infection (one of her many medications she had been on recently.)  Overnight into Christmas Eve I spent the whole night  up with her while she threw up constantly and was burning up with a high fever. That high fever has lasted until now, 5 days later, and has been accompanied by extreme hives all over her body. Apparently she is severely allergic to the Amoxicillin, and had a painful reaction. 

The hives got so bad that she was digging into her skin, they were very very swollen and turning into bruises. The welts were burning and painful for her and because her joints were also swelling she was having a hard time moving around. 

Needless to say it's been a rough few weeks! Numerous trips to the pediatricians office have exhausted all of us and many many sleepless nights have made life miserable. Today I was on the verge of a breakdown when I heard that knock at the door... 

The pizza man handed me pizza, but more importantly he handed me some hope. I needed that pick me up and the reminder that there are kind people out there that think of others. 

The best part of this special surprise was that it was sent over by a client's family, a young client that I've grown to love, and I can't wait to see her again to give her the biggest hug!! :) Thank you Grace (and family!) 



1 comment:

  1. It is the little things in life that matter most. Years from now you will remember how sick you all were to end 2012... but also that you were surrounded by people who helped make it better. Hope is so important... and the kindness of friends.

    Best wishes for a happy 2013,
    rach :)
    a friend of one of your friends.

    ReplyDelete